[Oberon] oberonnet of things

Frans-Pieter Vonck fp at vonck.nl
Tue May 26 22:00:43 CEST 2015

Ah,
that is interesting.
I'm curious how the idea of registers are implemented in the Oberon
Project. I will look into the references you gave me.
Thanks and success with your project.

Greets,
F.P.

> FP
>
> In fact I will write everything in Oberon-07.
>
> Today, the RISC5 architecture foresees a mechanism to write contents to and
> read contents from actual HW by using so called "IO addresses". "IO
addresses" look like ordinary addresses but don't address the "normal"
SRAM
> memory but IO devices with special meaning.
>
> E.g. if I read the contents at address -64, I get the current
> milliseconds.
> If I read the contents at address -36, I will get the mouse coordinates.
Niklaus Wirth defined 10 special IO addresses in RISC5. In chapter 17 of
his
> book he documented 8 of them.
>
> As I don't want to modify the existing behavior of the RISC5, my
intention is to extend the IO addresses by one additional address,
namely -24. Simply said: By writing to this address with
"SYSTEM.PUT(-24, x)" I will put
> one byte on the Ethernet interface. When I read from this address with
"SYSTEM.GET(-24, x)", I will get one byte from the Ethernet interface.
The actual Oberon code to drive the wiz550io is a little more complex
than that but to give you an idea.

> Now to make this happen I need some "HW glue logic" to map the Oberon
address -24 to the underlying HW mechanism of the Pipistrello board
(FPGA) and the wiz550io. This HW behavior is defined in Verilog; I hence
adopt "RISC5Top.v" accordingly.

> That's in a nutshell what I intend to do.
>
> br
> Jörg

project oberon to these hdl drivers?

> This makes me wondering. I remember the clean code of the original
project oberon where the hardware was addressed through its registers.
Most of the code was still in Oberon.
> Wirth mentioned that using assembly has to be avoided.
> Is verilog the new assembly?
>
> I remember from the Astrobe forum that someone mentioned he had written
a ethernet drive  in Oberon07 for the Wiz550.(Chris?)

> Greets,
> F.P.
>
>> Hi FP
>>
>> I'm just working on it.
>> I bought the wiz550io and connected it already successfully to the
> Pipistrello.
>> I will write an additional SPI driver (not to touch the existing one in
> case
>> somebody wants to use the original Net protocol in addition to Ethernet
> and
>> to allow for higher speeds than the existing SPI driver)
>> As I do it in my spare time allow me some time...
>>
>> The applications on top however (FTP, Mail, ...) have to be written by
> you.
>>
>> br
>> Jörg

forced to advice Python because of the lack of ethernet libraries.*