[Oberon] Re (2): new symbol file

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Wed Jul 29 14:59:32 CEST 2015

From:	Felix Friedrich <felix.friedrich at inf.ethz.ch>
Date:	Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:46:26 +0200
> Strictly speaking, the necessity to recompile a file is a question of
> conistencies of the information used in object-files and not that of
> symbol files. ...
>
> R.B.J. Crellier describes in his Thesis "Separate Compilation and Module
> Extension" ...

I should have mentioned that the current work is in Native Oberon.

> If, for
> example, Module Display defines a datatype extended or reused for other
> exported datatypes of modules M2, then indeed the fingerprint of M2 will
> change and depending modules of M2 have to be recompiled.

Yes, this revised Display exports a new Pattern which M2 must import and use.
I'll compile upstream enough to verify that Display is working as intended.
After that a rebuild of the system with Native.Tool is quite tolerable.

> ... fine grained fingerprinting can be used in order to avoid
> recompilation even of immediately importing modules when they only refer
> to unchanged information of the imported module. This mechanism is used
> in the compilers currently used at ETH for A2, ...

Good to be aware of that in case I progress to A2 later.

> Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thanks,             ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202 http://easthope.ca/peter.html Bcc: peter at easthope. ca