[Oberon] Oberon Digest, Vol 135, Issue 14

David Hunter drhunter at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 26 15:41:10 CEST 2015

Chris,

Just to 'chime in' with what Wojtek is saying.    If you look at the
Verilog code, there is a GPIO In and GPIO out port.   Those are not
mentioned in Ch. 17 that is available on the Project Oberon page.

I've been working with the RISC5 quite a bit and think it has great
potential as an embedded processor.   The workstation aspect of the
original Oberon project emphasized the user interface with a good deal
of effort on the Viewers, Texts, the mouse interface etc.   I think that
made sense at the time (c. 1985).   The workstation world has marched on
from there.  Unfortunately, for an embedded environment, a
keyboard-mouse-monitor interface may not be needed.

I like the straight forward multi-tasking loop concept in Oberon which I
think makes it a good candidate for an embedded OS.   I've been thinking
of re-working the 'Oberon Loop' with "high priority" and "low priority"
tasks to replace the "user" and "other" tasks. The high priority tasks
could involve the user interface, but I think it should be more
abstracted as generic user input and user output.   This would allow for
a GUI, serial, remote network connection, touchscreen, or whatever to be
the user I/O.   This was already done with the conversion from a disk
interface to an SD card going to the FPGA eval board.   I think the same
could be done for user I/O.

When I get a better handle on it, I'll keep people posted.  I'm new to
the Oberon world, so I'm still learning.

Dave

On 8/26/2015 6:00 AM, oberon-request at lists.inf.ethz.ch wrote:
> They ARE documented - check that you have the complete Project Oberon
> documentation (three PDF files). The registers (device addresses) that you
> are referring to are defined in Chapter 17 "The processor's environment".
> That chapter is contained in the file 'PO.Computer.pdf'.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

---