[Oberon] Multitasking and the Oberon Loop (was: Oberon Digest, Vol 135, Issue 14)

chris chris at gcjd.org
Wed Aug 26 16:46:06 CEST 2015

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 09:41:10 -0400, David Hunter wrote:
> I like the straight forward multi-tasking loop concept in Oberon which I
> think makes it a good candidate for an embedded OS.   I've been thinking
> of re-working the 'Oberon Loop' with "high priority" and "low priority"
> tasks to replace the "user" and "other" tasks. The high priority tasks
> could involve the user interface, but I think it should be more
> abstracted as generic user input and user output.

There were two attempts on this in the 90s. I recommend to check them
out.
The article from Wirth is hard to get on the net.

Greetings, Chris

----------------------------------

@inproceedings{ls94,
	Address = {Zurich, Switzerland},
	Author = {Spiros Lalis and Beverly A. Sanders},
	Booktitle = {Proceedings of Programming Languages and System
Architectures},
	Number = {LNCS {\#782}},
	Publisher = {Springer Verlag},
	Series = {Lecture Notes in Computer Science},
	Title = {Adding Concurrency to the Oberon System},
	Url =
{ftp://ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch/Oberon/OberonV4/Docu/concurrentOberon.ps},
	Year = 1994}

@article{wtask,
	Author = {Niklaus Wirth},
	Journal = {Software - Concepts and Tools},
	Pages = {6-12},
	Title = {Tasks versus Threads: An Alternative Multiprocessing
Paradigm},
	Volume = {17},
	Year = {1996}}