[Oberon] Numerical CASE Statements in Project Oberon

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 11:23:18 CET 2015

I missed your post Jörg, sorry about that.
I would say, yes.
But at the same time the CASE constructions in the compiler via IF THEN are
very verbose, and we can only guess about the execution time.
I agree there was no immediate need for it, but at the same time he did put
it in the language description, so here is a riddle.

On the matter of record aggregate assignments: They are fine when the
records are 1 deep, and even recommended since the compiler helps you to
pick up initialization errors in the case you change the record. But on
multilevel records (a record in a record) they very quickly become a very
big pain.

In any case I do like the new WHILE, mainly because, although it might not
execute quite as quickly as an oldfashioned loop with random exits, it does
force me to write clearer code.

Then I wanted to ask you a question or 2:

1. have you used the CASE statement to separate records by extension?
    Can I have a base record and one extented base record and treat them
each differently with CASE?
    (it is my lazy day you see.)

2. Is there any other O-7 compiler except the one for the RISC environment?

cheers,
j.