[Oberon] Use of resources.

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:39:19 CET 2015

I think the idea is slightly more complex than that:

>From "A Brief History of Software Engineering" (2008)

What happened in software engineering was predictable and
inherent in a field of engineering, where the demands rise, work
is done under time pressure, and the cost of resources are almost
disappearing. The consequence is waste of cheap resources --
processor cycles and storage bits -- resulting in inefficient
code and bulky data. This waste has become ever-present and
represents a grave lack of sense for quality.  Inefficiency of
programs is easily covered up by obtaining faster processors, and
poor data design by the use of larger storage devices. But their
side effect is a decrease of quality -- of reliability, robustness,
and ease of use. Good, careful design is time- consuming,
costly. But it is still cheaper than unreliable, difficult
software, when the cost of "maintenance" is not factored in. The
trend is disquieting, and so is the complacency of customers.

j.