[Oberon] Numerical CASE Statements in Project Oberon

Lars O noreply at z505.com
Mon Jan 11 10:53:53 CET 2016

Jan de Kruyf wrote:
> Good morning David,
>

>> or perhaps he hasn't made a final determination on CASE.
>
> I like to believe that too.
> Ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Things have changed
> before in Oberon. Sometimes on good scientific grounds, sometimes on the
> basis of practical deliberations.
>
> What Wirth always _has_ argued against is needless inflation of the
> language just because of 'feature fever'. And I agree wholeheartedly with
> that sentiment.
>
> At the same time of course we are slowly getting to the point where we
> need to carry the idea forward ourselves.

Or how about communication? i.e. why doesn't Wirth participate in
developer discussions regarding languages? I think we are stuck in the
1970's where one programmer writes a compiler and has zero feedback from
its users, because the God programmers knows better than all his users.
This is one area where languages like GoLang are better off - their lead
developers actually participate in discussions, criticisms, ... they
actually COMMUNICATE with each other. Wow. They communicate, like people.
Is wirth an alien?