[Oberon] Virtualbox disk image of Native Oberon 2.3.7

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Wed Jan 13 07:21:45 CET 2016

Hello Srinivas,

> I downloaded the latest NativeOberon_2.3.7.tar.gz from native Oberon Sourceforge site.

Not posted by me.  I do not know the origin of the release
number, 2.3.7.  The last release number on the ETH server is 2.3.6.
The Alpha release is identified by a date.  05.01.2003.
You can see it in http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/native/ .

All I posted on sourceforge is the Alpha Oberon0.Dsk, the OberonCF0.Dsk
and accompanying README.

> I am able to run Oberon0.Dsk file on Virtualbox.

Good.  I use QEMU.
http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/Installation#toc23

> I would like to see a complete Oberon desktop similar to the
> screenshots present on Sourceforge site.

No problem.  Using VB, install Oberon0 using Oberon0.Dsk
or OberonCF0.Dsk with diskette emulation.  See above.

To complete the full system retrieve packages by FTP
and unpack.  Open http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/native/ .
Under "Latest PC Native Alpha" follow "Download".
There find the packages *.zip.  Retrieve and unpack.
My notes have the commands to retrieve and unpack
by pointing and clicking.  http://easthope.ca/OberonUsage.html

After that the installed full system can run under VB or
or directly on the machine.

> However, I don't think, I shall be able to prepare a disk
> image with complete Oberon installed in it with all available tools and gadgets.

Yes, a conceivable method but I don't know of any such image.
The instructions above accomplish the full installation.
Is there a reason to aim for another method?

I have copied to oberon at lists for benefit of anyone with
similar interests.

Regards,                   ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202