[Oberon] OS X and Oberon

Hans Klaver hklaver at dds.nl
Sat Jan 16 23:51:19 CET 2016

David Egan Evans wrote:

> Are there OS X users (e.g. Yosemite, El Capitan) of Oberon systems out there? If so, what do you use? A2? Is there anyone using ETH Oberon? Blackbox? Specifically, I'm looking for Oberon as an IDDEE.

My main development system is BlackBox running in a “Wine bottle" under CrossOver on Mac OS X (no Windows licence needed).

> From what I can tell, A2 is the only system I can see that ever had OS X support on modern (Intel64) Macs.

A2 runs fine in the X-Windows system of Mac OS X.

> PS Has anyone successfully compiled Peter's RISC emulator on OS X?

Not compiled, but I use Roel de Jong's excellent Oberon Workstation app to work with Wirth’s Oberon V5 (only works under Yosemite and El Capitan because it is programmed in Swift).
See: http://www.reactive-instruments.eu/index.html

Other Oberon compilers that should work under Mac OS X are OBC (http://spivey.oriel.ox.ac.uk/corner/Installing_OBC_release_2.9) and the JVM version of John Gough’s GPCP (https://gpcp.codeplex.com). The latter I used successfully myself.

Hans Klaver