[Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.

Srinivas Nayak sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 03:42:16 CET 2016

Dear All,

Reading the trilogy, now I have started to understand Oberon language.
Here I am trying to understand the concept of Module and Record little more.

In C++, a Class defines the data fields.
So the internal representation of a concept remains hidden inside a Class.
Again the same Class selectively exposes what is accessible to outsiders.
So Class takes care of encapsulation(internal representation of a concept)
and abstraction(selectively exposing) both.

In Oberon, a Record defines the data fields.
So the internal representation of a concept remains hidden inside a Record.
However, a Module (not the Record) selectively exposes what is accessible to outsiders.
So Record takes care of encapsulation(internal representation of a concept),
But Module takes care of abstraction(selectively exposing).

It makes me confusing, if I think encapsulation and abstraction are related to each other and should go hand in hand.
Kindly shed some light on this...

With thanks and best regards,

Yours sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak