[Oberon] Compiling Original Oberon in (Unix)Aos?

jwr at robrts.net jwr at robrts.net
Sun Jan 31 01:17:44 CET 2016

Hmmm.. There is a key clue (but I still don't fully understand) in
Eric Scharff's original message at
http://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2016/008792.html.  He
mentions both Oberon and Oberon-2, and indicates that there is an
"Oberon subsystem" within AOS.

Perhaps there is one "Oberon subsystem" when there should be two?  One
for (original) Oberon, and one for Oberon-2? This would suggest at
least THREE contexts (or "subsystems"?) in which code can be compiled:
one for AOS, one for Oberon, and one for Oberon-2. There may need to
be a different compiler used in each context, and code compiled for or
within one context should not be used by code in another context?
Perhaps the problem Eric has encountered is related to the contexts
for Oberon and Oberon-2 not being sufficiently well defined and
separated?

Again, I am concerned I misunderstand something very important. Please
clarify.

-- John Roberts