[Oberon] RISC.img format

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Sun Feb 14 02:35:24 CET 2016

 >> Ignoring the multiplicity of standards overlaid onto SD / MMC, you
can talk to all cards with a simple SPI port; the only complication is
the requirement to go slow until a faster rate is negotiated.

This is a common misunderstanding.  In SPI mode there is no need to go
slow initially, you can go at full speed right away.  The need for slow
speed is in SD or MMC mode where the pins are initially open-drain in
order to support multiple cards on the same bus.  In SPI mode the
signaling is always push-pull and you can clock the card at typically up
to 25 MHz from the start.

See Appendix A in this document
http://www.circlemud.org/jelson/sdcard/SDCardStandardv1.9.pdf

/Timing specifications //
//Design engineers must meet the rise, fall, setup, hold, and other SD
Card and MultiMediaCard bus timing specifications.  If they want to
support MultiMediaCards in their design, the clock speed should be
controllable by the host.  This is due to the MultiMediaCard's
open-drain mode; the MultiMediaCard powers up in the open-drain mode and
cannot handle a clock faster than 400 Khz.  Once the MultiMediaCard
completes the initialization process, the card switches to the push-pull
mode.  In the push-pull mode the MultiMediaCard can run at the maximum
clock speed
/
Magnus