[Oberon] oberonstation vs. a $9 computer (Lars)

Hans Otten h.otten at hansotten.com
Mon Feb 15 13:36:33 CET 2016

Hi,

First message from me after reading for a long time.

So first a hello to all Oberon fans! I am Hans Otten, live in the
Netherlands, now retired, and a long time fan of 'Wirth' languages and
systems. Pascal has always been my language of choice as software engineer.
As a hobby I write compilers for 'Wirth;' languages, since I was at the
Vrije Universiteit where Andrew Tanenbaum initiated the VU Pascal compiler
that later became the Amsterdam Compiler Kit..

Always wanted to have a Wirth Workstation since I saw the Lilith in the
80ties.

OberonStation is indeed  expensive compared to the Raspberry Pi and such.
And since Project Oberon can run on the Pi, a very large price difference.

Nowadays I dabble more with the Peter de Wachter Project Oberon emulator
which I can run on any location, be It my Windows main machine or a Linux
machine as the Raspberry Pi.
It Is much more convenient than the isolated OberonStation with the SD card,
the PS/2 mouse, the VGA monitor.

About the 'moron' and 'go away' post against Lars, sorry to see a discussion
come to strong words instead of arguments.

Perhaps this discussion should be Oberonstation vs. a $5 computer!
It's entirely possible to run Project Oberon on a $5 computer, the Raspberry
Pi Zero cost is $5. I have several and am very happy with these, with USB
keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor instead of PS/2 and VGA and use them with
Oberon, Freepascal, etc.  and access to the rest of the world  . my
OberonStation is gathering dust.
Now I assume there is no high profit in a $5 computer, but the Raspberry Pi
Foundation is selling like mad these Raspberry Pi Zero's without loss.

To teach and learn I would advise Raspberry Pi Zero's, you can buy a
classroom full, for 20 students, for the same price as one OberonStation.

Regards,

Hans,   http://pascal.hansotten.com