[Oberon] Pepino LX9, USB, and other hardware running OBERON

Lars noreply at z505.com
Sat Feb 20 08:22:17 CET 2016

> It is only the mass-market applications that will bring Oberon to the
> forefront - and the idea of a complete lightweight OS that resides in
> under 1Mbyte - makes it attractive for IoT devices that really do not need
> to carry around 20 million lines of source-code baggage.

What is Oberon's opinion on the micro kernel vs monolithic kernel debate
going on in minix for decades now.  Does oberon prefer simple monolithic
system or modular kernel. The modular micro kernel requires more code
bloat to make things happen, is the Torvalds opinion, and it becomes too
much work always trying to write layers of extra code so that the modules
can interact safely with the kernel, rather than just hardcodign
everything in one place in the monolithic kernel where everything is
shoved.

Is oberon a micro kernel, monolithic, or neither as you can't describe it
that way?  It seems like oberon modules themselves, which can be loaded,
are kind of pointing toward more modular micro design - but that's where I
have to admit I'm ignorant as I don't know about userspace kernelspace in
the oberon, if it even has what you call a kernel anyway. Micro kernals
according to Andrew T. of minix are safer, and superior to linux
monolithic. What's oberon's view on this?  Can't ask wirth because he
never involves himselves in such discussions via one way communication:
write a book, hope people except it, then leave to outer space.