[Oberon] Is Oberon a Monolithic or Microkernel, Andrew Tanenbaum, Minix

Lars noreply at z505.com
Mon Feb 22 00:04:01 CET 2016

On Sun, February 21, 2016 3:56 pm, Lars wrote:
> On Sat, February 20, 2016 1:30 am, Douglas G. Danforth wrote:
>
>> Lars,
>> The "design" of Oberon is all modular based.
>>

> Are you sure though, because you can still have many many many things
> being modular, while some things are locked away inside the kernel, i.e.
> monolithic.  The problem is "modular" means different things to different
>  people. Andrew T. of Minix has a very different view on what is a truly
> modular micro kernel, and you have to write layers of code to communicate
>  messages, which Linus Torvalds does not like as it adds extra layers.

Changing the subject of this message, forgot to do it in my last message.

This discussion should have been titled "Is Oberon a Monolithic or
Microkernel" and it is my mistake for not changing the subject earlier.

Would be interesting to compare the design of oberon to Minix, i.e. Andrew
Tanenbaum's design and his view on what is truly modular.