[Oberon] Oberon with strings, Eberon

Lars noreply at z505.com
Thu Feb 25 00:26:37 CET 2016

On Wed, February 24, 2016 12:47 pm, Richard Hable wrote:
> Am 2016-02-24 um 04:17 schrieb eas lab:
>

>> Well ETHO's char-set: not limited to 7-bits ASCII is fine.
>> It handles all European languages AFAIK.
>>

> No, it doesn't. Eight bits are not sufficient even for the European
> languages.
>
>> When/if you need to cater for Arabic, Hindi, Japanese ...
>> only then, use unicode.  It's called apartheid: the toddlers and
>> pensioners have different meal-sittings.
>
> You just offended 90 % of the world's population.

Not if maybe more than 50 percent of this 90 percent figure already speak
english...  We assume that these people only speak their native tongue but
in fact english is more popular.  If english was decided as the standard
computing language that everyone needed to learn in order to use a
computer, there would be no need for unicode.

My views are extreme on this subject because I prefer 1970's ASCII
programs that can parse char by char without difficulty, back when people
who bought computers needed (rightly) to learn english to use them.  When
I watch videos like this explaining the complexity of unicode, I want to
turn of my computer and not use it, and not program any more, because
programming in unicode is simply not worth it:
http://dl.sta.li/slcon/2015/slcon-2015-09-frign-utf-8_everywhere.webm

The guy in the video is way more optimisitc than I am about unicode. AWK?
give me a break.

Unicode can even be used to create viruses and shut down your computer:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/37eti4/new_unicode_of_death_is_spreading/

Unicode is a joke. Unicode *is* a virus.