[Oberon] Oberon Runtime Environment running Oberon byte-code

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Mon Feb 29 08:41:10 CET 2016

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Yes - if you use record extensions.

> Although not part of the language, this environment is  implied by
> the language definition.

In earlier (1990's) revisions of the Oberon Language report that was true
but has not been the case since 2007. These are some of the reasons why
Oberon-07 is eminently suitable for developing embedded software for
microcontrollers. e.g. Astrobe Oberon programs fully comply with the
language definition but they are statically linked, native code,
microcontroller executables, with a single entry point, no runtime overheads
and no need for a garbage collector.

> If this is the case, like Java, would a Oberon Runtime Environment
> running Oberon byte-code have been better?

No need for speculation - try the JVM version of the Component Pascal
version of Oberon:

https://gpcp.codeplex.com/

> Is there a limitation in this scheme?

Refer to the following:

"Implementing languages other than Java on the Java Virtual Machine" Gough,
John & Corney, Diane (2000):

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/30165/

Regards,
Chris Burrows