[Oberon] Standalone BlackBox programs was: GUI programming inOberon.

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Thu Mar 31 07:21:44 CEST 2016

Lars

From time to time mathematicians use kind of typing as well :-)
Their variables or functions work either on N (integers), Q (rationals), R (reals) or Z (complex)

Further on, mathematicians tend to work with unlimited precision. Mathematicians have no problem to say the 1 millionth digit of pi is 5.
If we want to calculate that on a real computer you unfortunately have the hassle to deal with limited resources.

Mentioning limits: You are right, the "limit thing" is kind of inconsistent in Oberon. With basic types (BYTE, INTEGER, LONGIT, REAL...) you don’t mention a limit explicitly, although the compiler allocates a kind of implicit limit to the variables of this type - mainly the size of the register to hold the variable (8 bits, 16 bits, 32 bits…)

For structured types (eg ARRAY) you have to mention the limit as it is good practice protect your memory:
In my point of view the problem with variable sized (open) strings is: what should a compiler do with an expression like s[1000] := „a“.
Assume s has currently the length of 500 CHARs:
- shall it be extended to length 1000 or
- should it say "out of index“ or
- is there a typo as you wanted to write s[100] := „a".

Upfront declaration is a good thing as it is a kind of guard against typos. If you use in your code the variable „countr" but actually meant your variable „counter“, the compiler with implicit declaration would allocate a new variable instead of telling you "I don’t know what you want me to do".

br
Jörg