[Oberon] ET.StoreAscii Native.Tool.txt

Srinivas Nayak sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:24:45 CEST 2016

Dear Peter,

> Therefore in Native Oberon try to obtain Native.Tool.txt
> by the same method.

I did. File got created. But this doesn't open in Linux.
I think, still some binary data as file header remains.
Rather I see the .Mod.txt files I created opens nicely.

> Most Oberon users find scrolling better than in Linux.
> What exactly is the problem?  The mouse is faulty?

Very good question. Being lazy I didn't explain the problem I was facing.
Since you asked me, let me explain.

1. I am not able to see long lines of text. No horizontal scroll available.
The cursor goes somewhere beyond right most boundary of the Edit viewer.
User track also fixed.
2. I am not able to use down arrow key to go to next line. I am habituated navigating using arrow key.
Here when cursor goes character by character, it feels snail slow.
3. Vertical scroll works. But I have to place mouse cursor on vertical scroll bar consciously.
If unconsciously I put my mouse cursor near to top of Edit viewer, it scrolls, but very little.
It feels like a deja vu. "Just now I saw these lines. After scrolling also the same?"

> OLR showing "ETH Oberon / Linux X86 2015-04-25" is here.
> System.Directory Native.Tool ~ shows that Native.Tool is
> not there.  You must have brought it from N.O.  Why?

In NO also this file is not there.
I collected it from ftp://ftp.ethoberon.ethz.ch/ETHOberon/Native/Update/Alpha/Build/Build.zip
I wanted to see how NO is being built, which are the source files compiled, how things are packed to floppy disk, etc.

> See above.  Study Native.Tool in Native Oberon!

True, it seems, there is no other way that is easy.

> Harshness not intended but for your own peace of mind and
> progress, try to avoid unnecessary difficulties.  =8~)

A learner suffers always.
Lately I found, Miscellaneous.MakeDOSText works successfully to convert Native.Tool to ascii.

With thanks and best regards,

Yours sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Home: http://www.mathmeth.com/sn/