[Oberon] minor tuning of TUI?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:31:49 CEST 2016

> Now, what do you mean by 'called'..

Because I'm using this crappy web-based/M$concept gmail, I can't see
the context of "called", so I can't answer.

> To see a hidden
> view one can click on the top views control buttons

That's not good enough.
I need to see the MENU of viewers, with one visual-scan,
without any manual:mouse/kybrd activations.
Your 'system' doesn't show me the Viewer's NAMES.
That's why ETHO's method of showing the top-viewer with the ESSENTIAL
name is superior. Although when extended to LEO, which handles long
"dir/path/file/names", [altho' *nix doesn't use absurd full sentence
file names like M$] we may need to <wipe> the FileName to a spare
area-of-the-screen to read the complete-fileName-string.

> I used Oberon V4 (and System3) for many
> years but came to dislike it due to its black and white color,

Clearly color is an artistic and NOT utilitarian consideration for you.
My ETHO <Customised Tools> are disgusting gaudy colored messes.
For me color is very valuable, and the main reason why wily can't handle
the most difficult jobs that ETHO can. Just glance at this mess:--

1=Select DestName & M2M1: |Arg1 to /mnt/h15/var/CONTROL/WtmpL
2=Append Text Selection & M2 |Apnd1 : to tail -2 /var/CONTROL/WApnd.
3=M2 DLt2wavMul : <1>.mp3 to /mnt/h14/home/crg/mul/    ^  M2M1  rm
---------------------
It's "called" from wily by Mwt [called means activated: like MidMouse
on <Mod.Proc> in ETHO]. So, Mwt = Menu-wily-texttospeech writes the
messy menu, as shown above. I can't afford to have artistic cartoons
like your M$ based systems, because screen area is the most valuable/
always-not-enough commodity.

If wily had color like ETHO *has* I would color "|Arg1" in bold-red
and bold-green for "|Apnd1" & "DLt2wavMul", to immediatly tell me
where to klik & the different: MidMouse & Mid+LeftMouse.

So yes color adds an extra dimension, for the save screen area.
But NO! I can't waste it on cartoons and style over substance.

> middle mouse clicks,
I'd favour a 5-key mouse.

> and limited windows overlap.

As stated, it doesn't help me know that there are 6 instead of8
  files open, if I can't see their names.

> I now use BlackBox/Component Pascal exclusively.

I tried it too, when I was forced to use windows, after my new ISP's
connectivity needed M$.

It's very interesting how our conclusions differ?

== Chris Glur.

PS. now I see the context of previous post/s.
Another faulty M$ habit: top posting!

] Does it solve the problem of Viewers that are already loaded,.
] but covered: by popping them to the foreground when 'called' ?

'called' means 'present your self for reading/editing'
 either by being loaded, or pop-up from being hidden.

wily even positions the cursor in the newly called frame.