[Oberon] NW programming style

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Jul 11 17:13:20 CEST 2016

Joerg:

> Eg in Texts.Scan you find:

>  IF ch <= "9" THEN d := ORD(ch) - 30H ELSE d := ORD(ch) - 37H; hex := TRUE END;

I was always amused by NW advocating high level programming, using named constants rather than hard coding the numbers, etc. And then in his published book Project Oberon the reader can enjoy seeing "1", "2", and "3" meaning mouse clicks left, middle, and right. Which is the exact opposite of the principles NW was teaching.

The grad students then cleaned the code in their Unix/Linux/Windows ports of Project Oberon. They used ML, MM, MR meaning mouse left, middle, right. I always wondered in NW intentionally provided them a real life example of his own questionable programming style so they could correct bad programming.

W.