[Oberon] Data transfer in large amounts

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Wed Jul 13 13:00:36 CEST 2016

Dear Wojtek,

> This size fits well in a NOR flash chip whose size is limited to 64 MB.

I did consider an SPI flash chip, which would have been a more appropriate
size, but (micro)SD-cards are more freely available for not much
difference in cost.

> "doing" is indicative of some sort of a plan. Would you mind sharing your
> plan, a roadmap, and the future of FPGA Oberon?

FWIW, I shared my own personal roadmap during Oberon Day 2011 (I've posted
links to the talks here before), and posted here updates to what I'm doing
and how and why some particular things were done.

In general, the material is presented as-is, for careful study, in the
hope that it may be useful.  Some people have given us really great,
considered and constructive feedback and excellent contributions of work,
which often results in very satisfying fixes to certain issues.  We are
very grateful for this.

But you are mistaken if you expect there is a team, an updating
plan/roadmap, a version control system, ongoing feature development,
"releases", a service-level agreement, sponsorship or finance like in a
large open-source software or hardware project.  And we are certainly not
being secretive, rather, trying to help as much as we can with very
limited resources!

Perhaps you would be happier with one of those much bigger projects,
several of which now run on FPGAs.  You certainly seem to want a lot for
nothing and appear to need the support of a much larger community - you do
not carefully follow even the small amount of links provided both on Prof.
Wirth's home page (where he notifies significant changes to his whole site
in the news file) and for example the FAQ on http://projectoberon.com; and
answered and some of your criticisms rendered moot when you understand the
context.

HTH,
Paul