[Oberon] Volatile variables in Oberon

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Aug 1 06:02:26 CEST 2016

Srinivas:

> Do you mean a volatile array?

Yes. In the FPGA the internal RAM is dual-ported. The processor maps the port A in its memory space. The FPGA logic can access the other port B from the fabric space. The data can be written by the fabric to port B, and accessed by the processor from port A.

Consequently, the array can change without processor's knowledge. Therefore it is volatile.

This way of interfacing two subsystems inside the FPGA is the most fundamental way of coupling inside the FPGA. It is used all the time. The dual-ported RAMs are present inside the FPGA precisely for this purpose.

I can see how one can use SYSTEM to access such an array. Basically, one will be writing an assembly code using ADR, PUT, and GET. It is certainly doable. I am just asking if there could be a better mechanism, given the fact that the FPGA Oberon System by design is meant for interfacing the processor subsystem to the logic fabric inside the same FPGA. Volatile registers and volatile RAM blocks are the building blocks of such interfaces.

 I can hear the argument that there is no problem because the compiler is not optimizing.  However, it somehow feels not right to me that one cannot simply map the register or the RAM block to the processor space.

W.

With thanks and best regards,

Yours sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Home: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mathmeth.com_sn_&d=CwICAg&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=uUiA_zLpwaGJIlq-_BM9w1wVOuyqPwHi3XzJRa-ybV0&m=lp3CWaquXnvutOYdMCE-Ed_h6pxCK1ks-R7RJiaP2SU&s=CYgUX-46fn9zjSJBG5pB79qnGeM0NYINkKEjH1hbiUk&e=
Blog: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__srinivas-2Dnayak.blogspot.in_&d=CwICAg&c=kbmfwr1Yojg42sGEpaQh5ofMHBeTl9EI2eaqQZhHbOU&r=uUiA_zLpwaGJIlq-_BM9w1wVOuyqPwHi3XzJRa-ybV0&m=lp3CWaquXnvutOYdMCE-Ed_h6pxCK1ks-R7RJiaP2SU&s=YY17uZ1Zuizc53B2EfXZeapYZ90oHA5t46EoxWguVQY&e=