[Oberon] A path variable for OLR?

Peter Matthias PeterMatthias at web.de
Fri Aug 5 20:54:52 CEST 2016

Am 05.08.2016 um 18:00 schrieb Peter Easthope:
> Hello Peter M.,
>
> Native Oberon recognizes multiple storage parts and a priority
> order.  Thus SYS:System.Tool and HOME:System.Tool can
> exist.  As the system is installed, SYS is the default and
> System.Tool means SYS:System.Tool.  If the default is set to
> HOME, then System.Tool means HOME:System.Tool.
>
> I wonder whether you might consider adding such a capability
> to OLR.  A variable such as OPATH for example.  Following
> OPATH=/home/peter/usbstick ; export OPATH
> System.Tool would mean /home/peter/usbstick/System.Tool
> rather than /home/peter/olr/System.Tool.

You mean same behaviour as can be reached by "cd /home/peter/usbstick"
"./olr"? This would (now, as OLR moves from open to openat due to lack
of kernel open support on modern architectures) be easy to implement.

> Is there a better idea?

To have ideas, one would need to know the problem first. Another
possibility obviously would be to define "SYS:" or whatever to be an
alias for a linux directory like "FileTools.SetDirectory SYS:
/home/peter/usbstick~". However, such a change would need to solve the
original problem better than symbolic links.

Regards,
	Peter