[Oberon] Python for an Oberon user, derived from Oberon for a C++ user.

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Sep 29 02:38:56 CEST 2016

Thank you for the pointers to the PyCon talks. The Python creator made some interesting points why python was successful. There may be some lessons there. My take is that every largely successful enterprise needs a champion. Without a champion there is little chance for a success.

There is another interesting talk at the PyCon about GIL removal. I have little idea what GIL is and whether I want to know. However, towards the end of the talk at around minute 27 he starts talking about reference counting. This discussion may have some relevance to the previous thread why is module unloading unsafe under Oberon. Perhaps reference counting, as they use in python, could offer some relief. Perhaps one can somehow extend their concept of reference counting to Oberon procedure variables to make them into counted references. Module unloading would be disallowed as long as the there are references pointing to it. It is just an idea which perhaps was already examined in the Oberon community. In any case, here is the talk:

Larry Hastings - Removing Python's GIL: The Gilectomy - PyCon 2016
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3AyI_u66Bw

W.