[Oberon] Re (2): Re (2): Trapping LinzV4 under Windows XP

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Oct 8 17:38:12 CEST 2016

From:	eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com>
Date:	Sat, 8 Oct 2016 05:15:52 +0200
> I've researched/solved 2 such modems.
> Once it's switched from CD to Modem mode, the normal AT
> commands are applicable.

I used a MTN labelled USB modem on a Windows system in
Techiman.  The driver software set up the connection
to the cellular network.  Then TCP/IP was avaiable.
There was no need for the user to be concerned with
CD/Modem modes or AT commands.  Just install the driver
software and go.

> ... semi-war-like conditions here, don't allow me to
> research/fiddle again.

Research?  The software for the router is simpler than
for the USB modem dongle.  The connection from the
computer to the router is Ethernet; same as for routers
used with cable networks across North America.

> If you haven't lived in Africa, it's difficult to know
> the gap between sales-pamphlets and reality.

I lived in Ghana for a month. At a shopping mall in Accra,
MTN had a marketing kiosk with a WiFi router on display.
Twisted pair is preferable to WiFi.  The small additional
cost to get the RJ45 sockets on the router is a good
investment.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTN_Group ,
MTN is headquartered in Johannesburg.  If they sell
routers in Ghana, surely in S.A. also.

Regards,                ... Lyall E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                      Pender Is.: +1 250 629 3757