[Oberon] Oberon-2 on FPGA

Walter Gallegos walter at waltergallegos.com
Fri Oct 28 05:42:35 CEST 2016

"You adapt the VHDL/Verilog to kind of make the HW fit for the compiler"

Why do you think that modify HDL is easier to modify software ?

Conceptual errors in the original RISC-5 Verilog are a example that good
software writers not necessarily write good hardware descriptions.

In the industrial world you have one compiler and many products; so,
each cent in HW could affect more the product cost that compiler.

Let me do some figures as example, for 5000 units/year; EDK (Microblaze
tool) cost USD 500, USD 0,11 by unit; upgrading the FPGA means USD
8/unit ( 18.97 LX9 vs 26.95 LX16 ) USD 40000 for the project. I buy a
new software tool before upgrading the FPGA. Please note this prices are
based in price by unit, for 5000 unit year you can negotiate prices.

Obviously, academics, research are other worlds. I agree, SW cost is one
thing, HW cost is another.

Regards, Walter.