[Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.

Lars noreply at z505.com
Tue Nov 8 03:46:35 CET 2016

On Sat, November 5, 2016 3:13 pm, Douglas G Danforth wrote:
> Lars,
> A BlackBox button activates a procedure in a module.  That procedure has
> access to all of the resources of the module (variables and other
> procedures). In a BlackBox form some of those variables can be accessed
> and made visible in the form (if they have been exported, marked with
> "*").  The form can
> change the values of those variables before the button is pushed. That is
> how communication takes place between the form and the procedure to which
> the button is linked. -Doug Danforth

Any idea why they did not choose to use the delphi style system, where
information is passed in through a parameter to the procedure?

I am interested in the design decisions and why they were chosen.

I very much like having a parameter to inspect such as delphi's "sender"
which is passed in.

When you mention exporting with a * it sounds as though these are global
variables rather than local parameters passed in to a procedure.

I have to work with ComponentPascal and blackbox more, to understand it,
but would be interesting to know the design decisions why they did not
copy Delphi's system where information is often passed in as a procedure
parameter which can be inspected and dealt with without resorting to
globals.  I may be misunderstanding and blackbox may not be using globals
as I think.. again I have to try it out more to see.