[Oberon] Thanks for 90's V4 for M$:x64.

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 11:54:15 CET 2016

My gmail garbage lost the mail-thread related to this:
which 90's N-O would not have done.

google found this:
  [24][Oberon] Oberon for a C++ user.
   1 Oct 2016 ... Wojtek, I've got V4.0-2.3 of LinzV4 running on my
   64-bit Windows 10 ... from > ftp
   ://ftp.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/Oberon/Windows/win95-NT/.

So right now I'm writing this in V4.   *THANK YOU* !!
Does this M$-based V4 connect to inet like LEO connects via linux ?
 --------------------------------
Web.Open "http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/ ==
HTTP: the proxy "proxy.uni-linz.ac.at" does not have a DNS entry

Web.Open "http://www.dailymaverick.co.za" ==
HTTP-state: 404 Not found

HTTP: the host "forthworks.com" does not have a DNS entry
  --------------------------------
These error messages suggest <IP resolution> problems.
So, I'd like some valid IP's to just test `ping`: a very low-level test.

Which gives an example of why LEO is the superbest system.
It would allow me to pop-in 2 USBstiks, on which I've got somewhere:
examples of testing via ping. I need some valid IPs.

LEO allows you to search/access the linux mounted USBstiks under linux
or M$ partitions. This M$ V4 can't see outside of its own directory-tree;
so you'd have to use M$ to fetch the files, and then only M$ types are
possible. Or can M$ do symbolic-linking?   V4's README says:
  "Create a new link to Oberon.Exe either by clicking the
  right mouse button over the Desktop, selecting New -> Link,
  browsing for Oberon.Exe or by dropping Oberon.Exe from
  the Explorer onto the Desktop."
Is that still meaningfull for Win8.1 and would it allow accessing
a linked file which is outside of V4's Dir-tree?

Thanks for great help. What a pleasure to be able to see the several
textFiles relating to the job ALL together on the same screen.

AFAIR the old displays were WxH=480x640 ?
This laptop seems twice as wide as high. So there's plenty space wasted.
wily [an imitation of ETHO] allows multiple tracks, each adjustable in width.
But that's only for linux; and it follows the rule: the best systems are
not well known and popular.

== Chris Glur.