[Oberon] Concurrency support in Oberon

Lars noreply at z505.com
Wed Nov 23 02:08:40 CET 2016

On Tue, November 22, 2016 10:55 am, Srinivas Nayak wrote:
> I feel, writing a Linux like OS using Oberon is possible...
>

> But how to make a Oberon program run on bare Linux, i.e.
> how to create runtime environment for an Oberon program using Linux linker
> and loader, that is now on my head...
>
> On import, we have to load modules on the fly...
> We should be able to unload modules and re-load...

But then the question is should you be copying Linux, or looking into Minix?

Minix is a modular operating system design, although many people have
criticized it for having too many layers required in order to make it
modular.

i.e. would your oberon operating system be able to reload things without
rebooting the kernel, to make it more robust - the entire purpose of
minix.... without crashing the kernel.

I'm not so sure linux is even the operating system to copy (not a good
role model). But as I've no looked much into minix, I'm not even sure
about it either... It has its critics. Just thought I would bring up minix
because it is based on modularization.

Too bad some minix academic boys from Europe are not on this list to chime
in.