[Oberon] Need V4 Code for trivial task.

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Tue Dec 13 14:18:48 CET 2016

[...]
>> After saying all this I would declare that you are advocating a paradigm
>> which Oberon System (and any other GUI system) has explicitly disposed
>> of.
>
>Then what does one do for batch tasks on this pure GUI?

Since you can execute commands in any window (or viewer in
Oberon terminology, any viewer is also a kind of a shell. There is
a kind of a meta command executing commands written in a viewer.

In A2/WinAos this meta command is: SystemTools.DoCommands and
It reads all commands until it encounters two ~ (possibly separated by
white space). Normal commands terminate their parameters usually
by a single ~.

I do not recall, how it was called in System 3 or System 4 and I was not able
to dig it out quickly enough.

BTW: A surprisingly similar interface to execute commands was the worksheet
user interface of the Macintosh Programmers Workshop on the classic Mac
(see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Programmer%27s_Workshop) .
It is not so surprising if you know that the Oberon System and the classic Mac
both can be traced back to the heritage of the Xerox Alto at developed at PARC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto).

>IMO console programs are still useful, especially for teaching simple
>programming concepts where a GUI would get in the way and complicate
>matters beyond simplicity.

Programming for the Oberon GUI is very different to programming for
Windows/Mac/*ix GUIs.

Regards
--
  Bernhard