[Oberon] Need V4 Code for trivial task.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 09:57:05 CET 2016

On 13 December 2016 at 18:07, Lars <noreply at z505.com> wrote:
> Would be interesting to see what approach Plan9 operating system took,
> since it was inspired by oberon but also inspired by unix.

So download it and run it in a VM. It's trivial to do so. Plan 9 is
small and both it and VirtualBox are FOSS. I've done it myself.

https://9p.io/plan9/download.html

https://www.virtualbox.org/

>I have a hunch
> that somehow they managed to make the command line still available in
> plan9 but I haven't used it to know.

It's a descendant of Unix. It has a Unix-like shell, just as Unix does.

> I'm still curious how one would manage an oberon web server from afar,
> such as if you were in a different country, and had to log in to your
> computer remotely from 2500 miles away... do you do something like X11 and
> have a remote GUI session, or I guess maybe oberon operating systems
> haven't hit this speed bump yet... or no one has come across that problem
> yet..

Why would Oberon not be able to support protocols such as Telnet or
SSH? Over that, a TUI could be shown and interacted with without
particular difficulty -- but mouse support would be a problem. If some
kind of keyboard-based control of a mouse pointer were enabled, such
as is used by many disabled people to interact with GUIs, then it
would not be a problem at all.

For mouse support, VNC is simple, FOSS, and works with many widely
different OSes. It's also a built-in feature of several hypervisors.
It is as you say a lot less efficient, though, as much more data needs
to be transferred.

A specific protocol could be implemented, of course, sending text info
but with mouse control -- but that presents a lot of issues of its own
in terms of client support.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com