[Oberon] Class Methods Vs. Procedure variables in Records

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Fri Jan 6 23:36:43 CET 2017

In these days, with the internet, there is so much obsolete information
still available it is difficult to distinguish between what is historical
and transient and what is current and persistent. Hence, I can see why a
casual observer might be led to believe there was a vast array of possible
versions of Oberon. However, in reality, currently, there are only three
different versions of Oberon that a practitioner needs to be concerned
about:

Oberon-2 (1995 Revision)
Component Pascal (2001 Revision)
Oberon (2016 Revision - aka Oberon-07)

No one version is particularly 'better' or 'worse' than the other. I use all
of them in my business in addition to C# and Delphi (admittedly very rarely
these days). Which is the best at any particular time depends on the
specific requirements of the task in hand. Having three Oberon-family
languages to choose from is a distinct bonus. it gives me the ability to
select the best tool for the job rather than having to contort the job to
match the tool while I can still share the common generic code between jobs.

Active Oberon is also a possible contender as it is in active (pun intended)
development and Felix Friedrich is doing some great work with it. I'll
continue to keep a close eye on developments.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com/RISC5