[Oberon] FTDI chips on Oberon boards

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Apr 1 05:56:45 CEST 2017

Hello:

  I am looking for some clarification concerning the FTDI chips on Papilio, Pepino, Pipistrello, and OberonStation. (Is the OberonStation schematic available?) The first three boards use FT2232x, where x=D or H. In all three cases the FPGA JTAG is connected the same way, but the serial port is connected differently. I would like to copy one of these designs in order to use the same software drivers for the FTDI chip (fpgaprog, for example, but also the serial ond possibly fast parallel transfer).

I wonder which of these three designs is the most valuable for copying?

I am tempted to reuse the Pipistrello connections, if the firmware and software is available for the fast parallel transfers over the BDBUS (FT2232H pins 38-46). I guess this is called "fifo interface mode". How difficult would it be to extract these pieces from the OpenBench Logic Sniffer? Is any other FW/SW reference design available for reusing the Pipistrello FT2232H connections?

Thank you,
Wojtek