[Oberon] FPGA - Save / Restore OBERON.FS

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Fri Apr 14 01:54:01 CEST 2017

To keep it simple I just copy the whole lot including the FAT partition and
any unused space in the Oberon partition - it doesn't take long on a modern
PC. The complete size is 320MB. The resulting image zips up to 700KB on
Windows so you don't need to worry about consuming hard drive space. The
command I use on Windows is:

  dd if=\\.\PhysicalDrive<n> of=disk.img bs=1M count=320 --progress

so presumably the Unix equivalent would be:

  dd if=/dev/sdc of=OBERON1.FS bs=1M count=320

For the benefit of Windows users:

1. You can download dd for Windows from:

  http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

2. <n> is the drive number (a zero-based integer) of the SD Card reader as
shown as Disk <n> in

Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

3. When you use dd to access physical drives directly like this you must run
it as a system administrator.

4. Alternatively if you want a GUI way of backing up your SD card you can
use Win32 Disk Imager instead of dd:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Regards,
Chris Burrows