[Oberon] FPGA - RISC multiply/divide

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Tue May 23 12:36:04 CEST 2017

Hi Joerg,

Multiplication ~ repeated addition
Division ~ repeated subtraction

That is a simplification but is not the way implemented in RISC.
Consider 65536 DIV 1, that would require 65536 iterations.

Instead shift (left | right) + (add | sub) is used for DIV and MUL.
This requires much fewer iterations.

My argument is right about the example given in the 16.2.3.

14 DIV 4, is 3 with remainder 2

But the example gives 4 and the remainder 2

Tomas