[Oberon] Fwd: Re: FPGA - RISC multiply/divide

Walter Gallegos waltergallegos at vera.com.uy
Tue May 30 07:23:41 CEST 2017

We are playing on the FPGA arena; DIV and others maths can be
implemented from fully parallel to fully serial. Implemented fully
parallel each DIV need zero clocks cycles, results are available before
next clock edge; implemented as fully serial each DIV need word width
plus two clock cycles. In middle the designer have some divide and
conquer techniques. Off course, consumed resources and max operation
frequency are implementation's dependant.

MUL is another simple example, can be described in VHDL as

y <= x * m;

The implementation tool understand that need instantiate the multiplier
inside of DSP block, this simple description has several speed
penalties; for speed up the multiplication the designer add pipeline
registers but pipeline registers add clocks delays. This is the game in
FPGA arena.

As Wojtek say; FPGA DSP blocks are powerful marvels that can build for
example symmetric filters with peak performance over 4500 GMAC; compare
with 30 GMAC of mulit-core DSP architectures.

About move some maths outside of RISC5; our VHDL versions do not have
floating point support, as our main maths process are in hardware and
use binary fixed point we limit our software to integers.

Following this line, IMHO would be more interesting to have a read
instruction pair to provide blocking/non blocking read support than the
DIV instruction. With this pair of instructions, the designer writes to
value into a register and can select whether or not the CPU waits for
the result.

Walter

El lunes-2017-05-29 a las 12:32, Skulski, Wojciech escribió:
> Tomas:
>
> not only is DIV the longest instruction, but also its timing depends on the arguments. I think that the DIV hardware should be treated like a peripheral rather than a genuine part of RISC5 CPU. Working with such a peripheral, you write the operands to the memory registers, and a while later you read the result from another register. Note that the DSP slice, which is now a standard part of any newer CPU, is capable of more than just DIV. Have a look at Spartan-6 DSP48A1 Slice Description, User Guide UG389. These beasts are highly configurable. Even more important, their features keep evolving. The Spartan-3 multiplier, which was capable of basically one thing, has now evolved into a complicated coprocessor capable of many other things. IMHO, trying to catch up with all these capabilities by adding them to the language is going to fail, because it is a moving target, which depends on the FPGA generation and the FPGA vendor. IMHO, a safer approach is to move the advanced numeric
>   s away f
>   rom the language proper into the application domain.
>
> This leaves us with a question what to do with DIV. Is it appropriate to define DIV in the language and implement it with fabric logic without using the DSP slices? One can let DIV become a part of the official RISC5, if it is not done already. In such a way the problem is solved at the lowest denominator level, while advanced numerical applications can use DSP slices as peripherals.
>
> Wojtek

Walter Daniel Gallegos
Programmable Logic & Software
Consultoría, Diseño, Entrenamiento.
Montevideo, Uruguay
EMAIL walter at waltergallegos.com
Tel +598 26 23 44 60 | Cel +598 99 18 58 88

El presente correo y cualquier posible archivo adjunto está dirigido únicamente
al destinatario del mensaje y contiene información que puede ser confidencial.
Si Ud. no es el destinatario correcto por favor notifique al remitente
respondiendo anexando este mensaje y elimine inmediatamente el e-mail y los
posibles archivos adjuntos al mismo de su sistema. Está prohibida cualquier
utilización, difusión o copia de este e-mail por cualquier persona o entidad
que no sean las específicas destinatarias del mensaje.

This e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is intended solely for the
addressee(s). If you are not intended recipient please inform the sender
immediately, answering this e-mail and delete it as well as the attached files.
Any use, circulation or copy of this e-mail by any person or entity that is not
the specific addressee(s) is prohibited.