[Oberon] Acronyms and Versions

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 00:11:38 CEST 2017

> Is ETH-Linux-Oberon the same as LEO or LNO? (Probably it is LEO.)
 > Is Linux-ETH-Oberon the same as LEO?  Same as ETH-Linux-Oberon?
 >       See https://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2015/007996.html
 >       and https://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/oberon/2008/005410.html

 I don't know.

 As usual, depending upon Chris, Joerg and other knowledgeable people
 to identify errors and suggest corrections.
===================
Sorry about that.
I named LEO. Which was my main utility for years, until my systems got
stolen in 2016 July. The proper name is something like
<ETHOberon ver.**** for linux>.

Now I've only got a laptop: to keep light, to quickly escape if/when
degenerating South-Africa explodes.

The <WinTel> laptop is <set to Win 8.1 64bit> for compatibility with the
local 3G supplier. 64bit messes all my previous 32bit disks, which I was
able to save and can access but not [yet] boot - via a USB to IDE/SATA
adaptor.

Strangely, only with a 32bit kernel *AND 486* based can I boot LEO.
And the designer of this previously brilliantly performing software, has
moved on to AOS.

LNO is Linux Native Oberon; where the early versions date before LEO.
Unlike LEO it can't execute linux commands [LEO can do:
   System.Execute <linux command>
and give the linux output in a separate Frame [AFAIR ?].
More importantly, LNO cannot like LEO *DIRECTLY* read/write any
file in the whole linux file tree - in FAT/Linux/AOS formats.

Later versions of LNO can run in a FrameBuffer, which has been very
good for me, using mostly TinyCore from a USBstik without a full blown
X11.  I can't understand how/why my old 32bit LNO runs under 64bit and
LEO doesn't.

== Chris Glur.