[Oberon] V4 Native?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 16:32:59 CEST 2017

On 29 July 2017 at 17:40, Peter Matthias <PeterMatthias at web.de> wrote:

> However, time changes and now there exist kernel less abstraction layers
> like Ultibo and UEFI.

2 odd things to compare. I see no relation between them.

Ultibo is intended for DIY embedded applications. It could be a base
for a native Oberon port, though.

uEFI is firmware, intended for booting another OS.

> Unfortunately, AFAIK 64bit UEFI needs 64bit applications.

What on Earth? There is no connection or link between the bit-width of
UEFI or the OS it loads.

If the OS supports 32-bit code, which most do, e.g. Linux, Mac OS X or
WinNT/64, then yes, no problem.

32-bit Mac OS X can run 64-bit code. 32-bit Windows can't. Nor can
32-bit Linux AFAIK.

The closest comparison to what you said that I know of is that by
design, 64-bit Windows omits the 16-bit runtimes, so it cannot run
16-bit code: MS-DOS and Windows 3 binaries.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com