[Oberon] BMP; was "FPGA - Screen.Mod"

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Mon Sep 18 15:31:19 CEST 2017

Hi Peter,

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:File_types states
> "On Wikimedia Commons, the file types we recommend are: SVG, PNG, and
> JPEG.
> BMP files are not allowed on Commons." without explanation.
>
> BMP is needlessly bulky?  Intellectual property concern?

It's an uncompressed format, so only in that sense is it bulky; yet they
recommend uncompressed PNG instead of BMP, so that can't be it.

Even more confusing if you follow their link on BMP (lost in your paste),
leading to a paragraph which says, "The simplicity of the BMP file format,
and its widespread familiarity in Windows and elsewhere, as well as the
fact that this format is relatively well documented and free of patents,
makes it a very common format that image processing programs from many
operating systems can read and write."

Go figure.
Cheers,
Paul