[Oberon] Procedure variables and local procedures

Claudio Nieder private at claudio.ch
Fri Sep 29 20:18:04 CEST 2017

Hi,

>> What are the good reasons [for removing intermediately-scoped variables]?
>
> But from my own personal experience with many languages over many years,
> in commerce and academia (more the former) I would have to say that I am
> interested in anything which reduces the number of places you have to
> look, to understand someone else's code.

I am jumping into the discussion just now, but there is something which seems to elude me. So did I understand correctly that a procedure can have a nested local procedures but those are not allowed to access intermediate variables, but only local and global ones?

If this my understanding is correct, then the question which arises is, why are there still local procedures? In my eyes nested procedures seem to make only sense to facilitate the access to intermediate variables. Eliminating access to intermediate variables them to make stuff simple you should also remove nested procedures.

claudio
--
Claudio Nieder, Ruhestrasse 7, CH-8045 Zürich, Tel +4179 357 6743, www.claudio.ch