[Oberon] Procedure variables and local procedures

chris chris at gcjd.org
Sat Sep 30 12:22:29 CEST 2017

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 12:12:52 +0930, Chris Burrows wrote:
> What's the point of making Oberon-07 like Component Pascal when you already
> have Component Pascal?

> However, I do use the 'highly efficient' Oberon-07 to program
> microcontrollers with 16 KB of RAM. I also use the 'extremely powerful'
> Component Pascal to write GUI programs for a system with 16GB of RAM.

I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that Oberon-07 is meant as
a successor to the Oberon language used in the traditional Oberon
System. The last incarnation was ETH Oberon System 3, which is a
"multi-tasking, event-driven GUI program" of modest complexity compared
to todays systems. I don't want or need Component Pascal to write GUI
programs. Oberon was sufficient until now.

The features removed from the Oberon language I mentioned in my other
mails are not related to the object model additions that were made by
Oberon-2 and later Component Pascal.

If Oberon-07 should be seen as Oberon-Micro, a reduction of Oberon
targeted at microcontrollers that makes perfect sense, but is not my
area of use. I would be happy to hear some clarification about this.

Greetings, chris