[Oberon] Procedure variables and local procedures

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Oct 1 01:01:20 CEST 2017

I stand corrected. 1995 is the date of the latest revision of the Oberon-2
report that I have.

Just another historical remark:

H. Mössenböck states in the preface to his book 'Object-Oriented Programming
in Oberon-2' (also dated 1993):

"The design of Oberon reflects the experience of the man who developed Algol
W, Pascal and Modula-2. In Oberon-2, **the author of this book** added
several extensions to the Oberon language that make it more suitable for
object-oriented programming."

(** My emphasis)

I believe that paragraph leads to a better understanding of the fact that
Oberon-07 (by Wirth) is not Oberon-2- or whatever successor of Oberon-2 some
might think it to be.

> My main interest was to learn about the motivation of the omission or
> absence of the language features from Oberon-07 that were available
> in earlier versions of Oberon.

If you were thinking of Oberon-2 when you said earlier versions of Oberon I
can understand some of your previous questions. If

a) you accept that Oberon-07 is a successor to Oberon, not Oberon-2, and

b) you have read the document "Differences between Oberon-07 and Oberon"
which you can download from:

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon

does that answer your questions?

Regards,