[Oberon] Procedure variables and local procedures

chris chris at gcjd.org
Sun Oct 1 11:49:08 CEST 2017

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 09:31:20 +1030, Chris Burrows wrote:
> I believe that paragraph leads to a better understanding of the fact that
> Oberon-07 (by Wirth) is not Oberon-2- or whatever successor of Oberon-2 some
> might think it to be.

Right you are. That is the price you pay if you want to be a co-author
an the paper's title ;-)

> does that answer your questions?

Most of them yes. But I think the main problem arises from the really
different use areas we have in mind. In the micro controller / embedded
systems world things are different from the systems I have in mind.

As Paul Reed remarked early on, many things are a matter of taste. What
interests me is the motivation behind the decisions. In my opinion if
the reason is: the feature is flawed on fundamental principles (1) is a
very different argument from: it's not necessary we can avoid bloat (2).

Example for (1) would be several exit points (RETURNS) from a function
or LOOP with EXIT statement.

Dynamic array I would consider to be case (2).

Also adding dynamic arrays to the language does not make it Oberon-2
automatically. But I believe I got the point.

Greetings, chris