[Oberon] FPGA - Colour Support

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Oct 7 22:11:43 CEST 2017

Joerg:

Here is the wording from "Spartan-6 FPGA Clocking Resources", User Guide UG382 (v1.10) June 19, 2015, page 12.

"BUFGMUX can multiplex between two global clock sources or be used as a simple BUFG
clock buffer. The clock buffer can only directly drive the global clock routing resources,
which can only drive clock inputs. However, clock inputs on the FPGA logic flip-flops can
also come from general-purpose routing, although their use should be limited due to
higher skew."

The way I understand these words is that you are allowed to route the derived clock via BUFG (which physically is the same as BUFGMUX), but you are then impacting the performance of your design. From my experience, achieving a glitch-free operation of the FPGA design will be much more iffy when the design is invoking any grief from the Xilinx tools in the clocking arena. The design may work, but it may also generate corrupt bits, if there is any unresolved clocking warning from the tools. Based on my experience, I would stay away from any simplistic tricks where the clock signals are involved.

If I ever used the code like RISC5, then I would spend ample time analyzing the translation warnings. In practice it is much better to write the code according to the Xilinx User Guides then to try a seemingly simple code which leads to potentially iffy translation into the hardware.

And this is why LOLA and its resulting seemingly simple Verilog should not be treated like a gospel. Reliable FPGA design requires reading through Xilinx User Guides for the particular family you are using. These will be different for Spartan-3, Spartan-6, or Series-7. Do not rely on Spartan-3 User Guide when working with Artix!

And then there are also silicon bugs and undocumented features which you discover the hard way yourself, or read read on the Xilinx Developer Zone where the Q&A records are numbered in tens-of-thousands.

Do not get discouraged. It all can be done! But not necessarily with just LOLA.

W.