[Oberon] FPGA - Colour Support

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Sun Oct 8 19:24:33 CEST 2017

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 17:55:09 +0200
Jörg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch> wrote:

> Other memory organization are thinkable. Eg stacked 1bit planes. With
> such an memory organisation it would be easy to increase the bits per
> pixel from 1,2,3 and so on. If you clear the whole framebuffer and
> only write to the first plane, you have B/W.

Yes, nicely put, I was looking for this solution.

> But the BIG drawback of such a color memory scheme is, that every
> color pixel needs several memory accesses, one per plane. I thnk
> consecutive pixels are more efficient.

Right, now I see. It would be also nice to implement a switch
bw/colour, as we already have one for inverse video, what do you think?

> Generalizing Display.Mod from 1 to 2,4 or 8 bpp is a good exercise.

Modifying `Display.Mod' seems uneasy task for me, as it has to be done
on host system, not directly on `Oberon' machine. I can imagine a lot
of trying and rebooting, or is there an easy trick I am missing?

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>