[Oberon] FPGA - Boot over serial line

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 18:19:48 CEST 2017

> On Tue Oct 10 14:28:56 CEST 2017Thomas Kral wrote:
>
> After re-reading chapter 14.1. of PO2013 plus Andreas’s
> git repo `building-tools', I wish to do an exercise of
> initial system boot over serial line.
> It would be interesting to recreate Oberon0.Mod from
> what we know it does accomplish, I am also thinking to
> enrich it with some test commands to aid implementing
> of 4-bit raster ops, if not too silly an idea?
>
> Many thanks
> Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>

I have not included an Oberon 2013 version of Oberon0.Mod yet, mainly
because I don’t need it. But it would be fairly easy to recreate, if you
already have a suitable partner program running on a “host” system
that hosts your boot file (in the stream format described in my
repo), such as module ORC.Mod which you can get from

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/Sources/ORC.Mod.txt <http://inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/Sources/ORC.Mod.txt>

You can quite literally program “the inverse” of this program, e.g.,

MODULE Oberon0; (*cmd interpreter downloaded to target system via serial line*)

  PROCEDURE RS*; (*receive, then send sequence of items (inverse of ORC.SR)*)
  BEGIN
    RecInt(x);
    REPEAT
      IF x = ... THEN