[Oberon] Clarifying type compatibility in Oberon-07

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 10:52:13 CEST 2017

> On Sun Oct 8 11:16:30 CEST 2017 Douglas G Danforth wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> The topic "Clarifying type compatibility in Oberon-07" has died!
> It died 50 posts ago! Its time to pick a new "significant" topic.
> Move on, move on …
>
> -Doug Danforth

I think it’s a discussion absolutely worth having - despite the fact that
it has been around for decades. It has been discussed in the Algol days,
then of course in the Pascal and Modula days, and now again with Oberon.

The fact that this important question has never been convincingly settled
once and for good .. probably means that we don’t fully understand it yet.
In the end, the actual choice in a particular implementation is always also
influenced by programming experience over an extended period of time, so
there (probably) is also an element of art to it, when it comes down to
the question/challenge of making a sensible choice. The history of the
languages mentioned above shows a continued effort to *refine* that choice.

PS: If you do have convincing arguments either way, I am a happy taker :-)

-AP