[Oberon] FPGA - Boot over serial line

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Wed Oct 18 23:01:08 CEST 2017

Hi Tomas,

> To populate `prom.mem' I use `ORTool.DecObj' (corresponds to OSP.Decode
> on Oberon-0).
>
> To get opcodes from the disassembly (2nd column)I use below revised
> script, that also pads array with 00000000 up to the size of 512.

Why not just write a new command, e.g. in ORTool, which outputs the
prom.mem format directly?

And if you want to boot over the serial line, the standard boot loader
already allows you to do that, as has been pointed out, so I'm not sure
why you want to replace it - you can certainly download a new bootfile
over RS232 faster than you can generate and JTAG a new bitfile, even if
you use Xilinx' data2mem instead of re-synthesising.

Then again, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, so don't let me
stop you!

Cheers,
Paul