[Oberon] Installing from ISO

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 15:27:27 CET 2017

I thought I posted a question about this a week ago, although I can't
see it on the list.

I thought I would share the workaround that I came up with.

I created a VirtualBox VM for A2 on the target machine, and gave that
VM direct access to the target disk partition by creating a VMDK for
the partition:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

I booted the ISO file from Sourceforge in the VM, and installed to the
partition _in the VM_.

This worked fine.

The drawback with this approach is that it does not write a bootloader
to the MBR, but I am using a 3rd party boot loader, PowerQuest
BootMagic, in a bootable DOS partition.

After the "quickinstall" completed, I closed the VM, rebooted the PC
into DOS, added A2 to my boot menu, rebooted again and the new OS
booted perfectly first time.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com